The Steel Making facilities were established on March 1, 2009. They united three structural divisions: basic oxygen furnace shop (BOF shop founded in 1980), electric arc furnace shop (EAF shop founded in 1969) and Lime-dolomite shop (Lime-dolomite shop founded in 1961).
On May 1, 2018, maintenance assets became part of Steel Making: a steelmaking equipment repair shop and steel service production. As a result, today Steel Making consists of 11 production workshops and 3 repair sites, employing 3,160 in total.
Сast billets are the main product manufactured by Steel Making. The range produced features more than 700 steel grades.
The finished products of Steel Making are sent for further processing to flat-rolled product mills and rolling mills:
- Slabs with a thickness of 150; 200; 250; 315 mm;
- Billets with a thickness of 106; 150 mm;
The main production equipment is:
- three BOFs;
- two shaft furnaces of Electric Arc Furnace Plant;
- four ladle metallurgy furnaces (intended for purging metal with inert gas, deep desulphurisation, adjusting the temperature and chemical composition of steel);
- three ladle treatment stands (intended for averaging the chemical composition and temperature of steel in the ladle);
- two steel vacuuming units (designed to produce steels with ultra-low carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and sulphur contents);
- converter steel continuous-casting machines Nos. 1-5 (designed for casting steel into cast billets);
- electrical furnace steel continuous-casting machine No. 1 and grade steel billet continuous casting machine in Electric Arc Furnace Plant (for casting steel in cast billets).
Achievements and Records
- The maximum amount of smelted KS metal recorded in 2015 – 9,804,944 thousand tons;
- The maximum volume of metal for biller caster in Electric Arc Furnace Plant recorded in 2016 – 1,210,600 thousand tons;
- On May 30, 2018 245 millionth ton of converter steel was produced;
- On June 5, 2018 the 45 millionth ton of electric steel was produced;
- In May 2018, the record breaking vessel-lining life was achieved – 5,821 smelt;
- In June 2018, a record series of steel casting was achieved per one billet caster tundish in Electric Arc Furnace Plant – 200 smelts.